Monday, June 6, 2011

A Day at the Pool

Today, Miss Penelope and I went to visit my bestie Mikaela and her son, Sullivan. We decided to go to the pool because it was 87 degrees and sunny! Penny hasn't been swimming yet so I was SO excited that we were going to get the chance to try it out since she loves bath time so much.

This morning, Hubby and I went to Target to get Penny some of those swimmer diapers (because a soggy diaper is just, well, ew.) and a floatie of some kind so she'd be safe and sound. We found this adorable thing:
(that's definitely not us.)


The day was fun though. I hadn't seen Mikaela in like a month (which is blasphemy in best friend time) and it was so nice to get out into the sun for once. I feel like on my days off I still spend a lot of time inside. I need to get out more, and honestly, I need to work out too, but that's another post entirely. But here are a couple shots from today:
we were putting sunscreen on her head, and her hair got all crazy in the process


First time in a pool! She looks like she hates it here, but she was smiling seconds later!


Yesterday, I got to spend the afternoon with another bestie of mine, Claire! She's a long-term substitute English teacher at a middle school right now (hopefully a faculty member for next year though!) and she needed some help grading homework and papers and whatnot so I met up with her at the coffee shop and we chatted and gabbed about books and students and handwriting and caught up on each other's lives. I love hanging out with Claire, she always has such a positive attitude and always helps me look at things from a different perspective. We are two TOTALLY different people, in almost every way, but we get along so well and know each other through and through. I don't know where I'd be without Claire in my life, honestly. She's an amazing friend and I'm lucky to have her. Here we are: I tried to find a recent pic of us and I stumbled upon this one from her bday 2 years ago, and it made me smile, so I'm posting it. Sorry Claire!

While we were grading those 8th grade English papers, it made me realize how much I still want to be a teacher someday. Claire did her damnedest to get me to seriously think about going back to school, and maybe I will, but right now, it's not in the cards. But someday in the next 5 years or so, I'd like to go back to school and at least finish my teaching degree. I'd love to be a middle school English teacher, just sitting there in the coffee shop, reading these 14 year old student's reading logs and seeing their opinions of the books they're reading and seeing how their thought processes work was so interesting to me. It kind of re-ignited my passion for books and literature and writing and wanting to make it interesting and fun for kids. We'll see though if it's in the cards or not, I've got coffee to make for now, haha!

As far as my health stuff is concerned, I think I'm doing better! Tonight I realized that my hands and feet aren't AS numb as they were, it's still there for sure, but it's not nearly as bad. THIS IS SUCH A GOOD THING FOR SO MANY REASONS! I was honestly getting worried after my treatment and nothing had happened yet, that perhaps they misdiagnosed me and perhaps it was something much worse. BUT, the good news has arrived I think! One of the tell-tale signs of my specific disorder is its response to treatment. If it didn't respond to treatment then there would be a much greater chance that they misdiagnosed me, so I'm really hoping this is a good sign that they got it right on the first try. I go at the end of June for another EMG (remember, the pokey needles and taser test?) to see if they can track my nerve conductions and see that the treatment did its job in preventing further damage or not. Well, it at least feels better to me! My wrists are still REALLY weak in comparison to how they used to be, they ache a lot, but the numbness is nowhere near where it was!

I just realized that I never posted how the treatment itself went. Whoops! Ok, so I did the 5 day IVIG treatment, and it basically just made me really tired. Each day I'd come home and nap for a a few hours after, but I was pretty much myself after waking up from the naps. Here's the bad news, I got a TERRIBLE migraine that lasted 6 days afterward. The headache started on day 4, but went away before day 5, then came back after treatment on day 5 and stayed for 5 days. It was BAAAAAAAAD, too. I was immobilized basically, I could barely open my eyes, the light hurt, so I spent a lot of time in bed, under the covers with an ice pack on my head. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, and I called my Neurologist and my Neuro nurse, Crystal (who by the way is my saving grace) and she called in a steroid prescription for me to help the headaches. Well, I started the 9-day steroid and that same evening I felt 1000000x better. My headache finally subsided and I'm back to normal now, but man, I was out of work for almost 2 weeks because of this, which totally screwed us over, let me tell ya! Plus I hate not being at work, especially for a crappy reason like that. But now they know that the IVIG affects me that way, so next time I do it they can give the prescription right off the bat so I don't have to deal with the headaches. :)

Enough for now, goodnight moon.

4 comments:

  1. glad to hear you are doing better! and i love that picture of penny with her "mo-hawk" soooo much haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a nice relief to hear you say you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I had to LOL that you stated the baby and wierd blonde chick in the photo were "definitely not us"...Heheh.

    Sooooo glad to hear you are getting good results from your treatment!! Sucky on the mega migraine...but live and learn, ya know? Hoorrray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys, I'm very relieved as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete